Glass Craft & Bead Expo 2017 - Noteworthy Instructors

"Summer" from my Origins series of bowls.
This recent piece is a result of the culmination of
techniques I've learned from the great instructors below.
Class registration will open November 30 for one of the art glass industry's premiere exhibition and educational events, The Glass Craft and Bead Expo. Now in its 22nd year, the Expo will be held at the South Point hotel in Las Vegas, NV, March 29 through April 2, 2017.

I have attended the Expo for several years now, and have had the opportunity to take classes with some of the instructors on the 2017 roster. In case you are new to the Expo or unfamiliar with the instructors, I thought I would highlight my favorites (listed in alphabetical order).

Dennis Brady

Dennis is one of the old-timers gracing the halls of the Expo. A few years ago I took a mesh melt class with Dennis. While I learned a lot about high-temperature melts, I also learned many tips about glass fusing in general. Dennis has a wealth of knowledge and shares it generously. He teaches classes on high temperature melts, cold-working, and the "business of art".

Margot Clark and Dr. Saulius Jankauskas

Margot and "Dr. J" are the faces behind the Unique Glass Color line of fusible glass paints. They offer project-based classes where you learn a variety of techniques and tips for using UGC products. Many of the skills you learn in their class transfer to the use of other manufacturer's paints as well. Margot is an exceptional artist and a great instructor. If you want to learn more about the possibilities using glass paints, this is a great class to take.

Michael Dupille

Michael is one of the pioneers of the studio glass movement. He has created art for many public installations and has a wealth of knowledge which he shares during his classes. His expertise includes working with frits, glass powders, and glass medium to create glass masterpieces with visual depth and texture. Michael has a quirky sense of humor which complements his relaxed teaching style.

Patty Gray

If you are looking for a high-energy, multi-day class with so many ideas and techniques that your head will spin, Patty's class is the one to register for. You will make bowls and boxes, learn techniques for using paints, frits, strips, and micas, and get hands-on experience with a variety of cold-working equipment. Patty is well-organized and keeps the class moving at a fast pace. Her classes are a lot of fun and will give you a variety of skills to help you advance in your fused glass art.

Janine Stillman

Janine is the Master of Glass Combing at the Expo. Janine focuses on what I consider "glass combing with intention". Rather than just throwing glass strips together, combing with abandon, and hoping for the best, you will learn how to plan and execute your project to create visually appealing designs. Janine's combing classes are great to get you over the fear of manipulating hot glass in the kiln, while learning all the aspects of doing so safely. She covers color selection, and provides many ideas for finishing off combed pieces and using them as design elements in other bodies of work.

Lisa Vogt

Lisa is another fabulous teacher who is well-organized and has a wide range of techniques which she shares. A few years ago I took a design class from Lisa, which has been helpful when considering the design of my work. A class I took last year covered the aspects of several advanced fusing techniques. including creating larger vessels and ways to make your work unique. Lisa is a fun and engaging speaker. All of the classes I have taken with Lisa have been lecture-based, rather than project-based. As someone who has been fusing for several years, I am not necessarily focused on what great project I can make in a class, but what knowledge I can gain. I have found Lisa's classes very informative and just what I needed to advance my work. (Side note: The backdrop for this blog is a closeup of a piece I made after returning from one of Lisa's classes.)

11 and 14" bowls, using design,
combing, and coldworking techniques

Summary

Each of these instructors is kind, generous with their knowledge, and just all-around "good folks". If you are wondering who to take classes from, they would all be at the top of my list. Keep in mind that classes for these instructors fill up quickly, so don't delay in signing-up once registration is open.

If you can't travel to Las Vegas to take classes from these instructors, Dennis, Margot, Michael, and Lisa offer on-line webinars with Glass Pattern Quarterly, as well as videos for purchase. All of these instructors contribute to on-line forums and have free tutorials on their websites.

If you have questions about these instructors or other instructors, drop me a note. There are some whom I have taken classes from who aren't mentioned above. (Keep in mind that I will NOT respond about any "bad experiences" I might have had in a class in a public forum, but I will answer questions in a private exchange.)

See you at the Expo in March!

Dana

Resources

Instructor Web Sites:


Other Resources:


Bullseye Kiln-glass Education Online





Popular Posts