Studio Tip: SilkeMat Solution for a Large Drop Vessel

Earlier in the year I was planning to make a large drop-out vessel for a Black & White exhibit at a gallery. I wanted a vessel with a ~12" diameter opening. My problem was none of my drop-out rings were large enough and what I needed was not available commercially. 

I looked into multiple solutions, including cutting my own from vermiculite, creating one from clay, or purchasing a custom ring cut from a kiln shelf. I had a tight timeframe for my project and I also did not want to break the bank on something that I might not use very often. The solution was to create the ring from SilkeMat. SilkeMat is a refractory material that is blanket-like. It can be used in its softer blanket form or can be coated with rigidizer to provide stronger support. It's also non-carcinogenetic, which is a consideration when striving to keep a safe working environment in the studio. 

I thought I would share my kiln setup for anyone who might need a custom size drop-out ring or other mold. The ring was cut to size, rigidized, and kiln-washed. I also did not have enough of the correct height of kiln posts to support the ring, so I improvised by cutting Kaiser Lee Board to the height I needed, so that it would fit inside kiln-posts I did have. A bit of a hack on the drop-ring support, but it worked beautifully (and later I ordered kiln posts in different heights so I had good support for the future!).

Here are a couple of photos of the kiln setup. The glass was placed on top of the ring (second photo) and fired. 






SilkeMat can be found at most fused glass retailers. Check their web site for a list of retailers. 

Kaiser Lee board can be found at retailers or on their web site. 


Happy firing! Dana





Popular Posts